hawthorn

I've been meaning to try this one for a while...another thing I have so much of in my garden. It's everywhere on walks too, and so pretty.

This was a slow process, which seems to be suited both to natural dyeing and to me, when I put things a pot to soak and then don't get a chance to get back to it for a couple of days. It really was intentional this time though.

The yarn became a lovely, buttery yellow. One thing that really struck me was the difference between the full skeins, and a tiny little sample one that I added to play with later. All dyed together, at the same time but much, much paler. The difference here was scouring - the full skeins were properly scoured and rinsed beforehand, while the sample well, wasn't. It made such a huge difference to how the yarn took the dye. Of course, I neglected to take photos and have since overdyed it - but the results are still striking and I'll show that next time!

The details:

250g hawthorn twigs, leaves and flowers (after the petals had dropped but before berries had formed), chopped up and soaked for two days
boiled for one hour

2 x 25g skeins of wool yarn, plus a little sample skein for playing with later, pre-mordanted with alum and cream of tartar

cooked in the dyebath for one hour and left overnight before rinsing