disappearing blue

I'm still so taken with the bluebell and bluebell-dandelion yarns that sit on my desk, it was never going to be long before I tried it again.

This time I was curious to see what colours I could get if I overdyed it, but it didn't quite work out. It started off so well, the dyebath was a lovely blue liquor, but as soon as I added in the yarn it soaked up the blue and disappeared. Compared to other skeins though, it was turned a slight grey colour, so I suspect the dyebath just wasn't strong enough.

Yep, that's it. The rocket is far more interesting...

Yep, that's it. The rocket is far more interesting...

Over-dyeing went ahead as planned, with some nettle stew I had lying around after making plant food for my tomatoes. And this is what I got, a nice earthly pale green.

The details:

dyebath made by boiling 158g of frozen bluebell flowers for one hour then straining
3 x 25g wool yarn, pre-mordanted with alum and cream of tartar

yarn was held below a simmer for one hour

1 x 25g was then added to a nettle dyebath, and held below a simmer for one hour